Allegany County Pill Drop is a special initiative to help reduce the availability of drugs that can be easily sold on the streets find their way into nature by our waterways, and into the hands of our youth. More times than not, our medicine cabinets are filled up and overflowing of expired or unwanted drugs and medicinal supplies.
Partners for Prevention in Allegany County in partnership with the Allegany Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Inc. (ACASA), Allegany County Sheriff’s Office, local police, fire departments, and emergency services, provide opportunities for individuals to clean out their medicine cabinets and safely dispose of their unused, unwanted, or expired drugs. The Pill Drop Take-Backs coincides with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s National Take-Back Initiative. There are two days a year that this initiative takes place; once in the Spring(April) and once in the Fall(October).
Since 2008, we have collected over a million dollars of controlled substances (approximate street value) to help reduce incidents of crime, illegal sales, while helping to keep our water supplies safe and clean.
All collected medications are taken to a location by the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office to be incinerated. By incinerating the medications it makes them inert, which means they can’t be used by people and are not harmful to our environment.
Spring Pill Drop was held in Andover and Friendship. 35 cars and 197.2 pounds of medications were brought in by community members.
Take It to the Box Locations
If you were unable to make it to the Spring or Fall Pill Drop event you can take your medications to any of the ten Take It to the Box locations throughout Allegany County:
- Alfred Pharmacy, 36 North Main Street, Alfred, NY 14802.
- Alfred University, Theta Gamma House, 10 Upper College Drive, Alfred, NY 14802.
- Allegany County Sheriff’s Office, 4884 Route 19, Belmont, NY 14813.
- Cuba Police Department, 15 Water Street, Cuba, NY 14727.
- Fillmore Pharmacy, 10560 Route 19, Fillmore, NY 14735.
- Friendship Pharmacy, 9 West Main Street, Friendship, NY 14739.
- Jones Memorial Hospital, 191 North Main Street, Wellsville, NY 14895.
- Jones Memorial Medical Practice, 120 First Street, Bolivar, NY 14715.
- Nicholson Pharmacy, 36 Schuyler Street, Belmont, NY 14813.
- Wellsville Police Department, 46 South Main Street, Wellsville, NY 14895.