Naloxone(Narcan) is now available in more than 2,000 pharmacies throughout New York State. Individuals who are themselves at risk for an overdose or their family members or friends may acquire naloxone in these pharmacies without bringing in a prescription.
The New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute has an important pharmacy benefit for all New Yorkers who have prescription coverage through their health insurance plans: the Naloxone Co-payment Assistance Program (N-CAP). The key elements of this program are:
- Co-payments for naloxone in an amount up to $40 for each prescription dispensed will be billed to N-CAP, not to the individual getting naloxone.
- Individuals who are themselves at risk for an overdose or their family members may acquire naloxone using a patient specific prescription, or through a standing order at over 2000 pharmacies in NYS.
- No individual enrollment is necessary.
- Pharmacies participating in the New York State AIDS Drug Assistance Program are eligible to participate in N-CAP.
- There are no or lower out-of-pocket expenses when getting naloxone at a participating pharmacy.
- Only the following naloxone formulations are eligible for N-CAP coverage:
- Narcan® nasal spray (4mg/01 mL); NDC 69547-0353-02
- Naloxone used for intranasal administration (1 mg/1 mL in 2 mL Luer-Jet™ pre-filled glass syringes); NDC 76329-3369-01
- Naloxone for intramuscular injection (0.4 mg/mL in 1 mL single-dose vials); NDCs 00409-1215-01, 67457-0292-02, and 00641-6132-25
- Your primary health care coverage may limit the monthly amount of naloxone that will be covered.
Naloxone Co-Payment Assistance Program(N-CAP) Flyer
NYS Directory of Pharmacies Dispensing Naloxone with Standing Order